The Omataroa Hunting Club manages access permits to the Forest for registered members who must be owners or descendants of owners.
The permits allow access for the purposes of hunting, trapping and firewood collection.
The Hunting Club offers regular Kiwi Aversion training sessions for Hunter's dogs. All dogs must have completed the training before permits will be issued.
The Hunting Season is CLOSED.
Omataroa Forest - High Fire Risk
Rayonier Forestry has placed a high fire risk on Omataroa Forest, therefore no permits will be issued for firewood collecting in the forest.
Please contact the office for further information.
Omataroa Hunting Club (OMHC Rules)
- Hi Vis MUST be worn by all members of hunting party
- Dogs MUST be "Kiwi Evasion" Certified (Certificates to be carried at all times)
- NO Hunting in any reserves (Waiwhero, Puhikoko)
- Four dogs per permit ONLY
- Entry ONLY by permit
- All vehicles MUST be legal and road worthy
- Hunters using firearms MUST have a Firearms licence
- Eligible members must be 16yrs and older
- Permit holder is responsible for his/her hunting party
- Permit holder responsible for KEY (Loss of key will result in $1,000 reparation fee)
- Permits are NOT transferable
- Report all lost dogs to a committee member as soon as possible
- MUST renew permit to go and find lost dogs
- Financial members ONLY will be allowed permits to Omataroa Forest for hunting
- Any complaints or disciplinary action shall be dealt by the OMHC committee
- Random checks shall be carried out by committee members
- Report any suspicious activities or behavior
- Report any fires
- Members pay an "Annual Levy" for membership
- MUST stop and comply with forest managers and security staff.
Hunting Club Map